Present Simple

FORMS



Affirmative
I work
you work
he/she/it works
we work
you work
they work

Negative
I do not work
you do not work
he/she/it does not work
we do not work
you do not work
they do not work

Question
do I work?
do you work?
does he/she/it work?
do we work?
do you work?
do they work?

SPELLING OF THIRD PERSON SINGULAR FORMS

Most verbs:
add -s to infinitive
walk > walks



Verbs ending in consonant + y:

change -y to -i- and add -es
cry > cries
study > studies
play > plays


VERBS ENDING IN -S, -Z, -CH, -SH OR -X:

add -es to infinitive
kiss > kisses
buzz > buzzes
watch > watches
wash > washes
fix > fixes


EXCEPTIONS

have > has
go > goes
do > does

USE
Permanent situations or things that happen regularly, repeatedly or all the time.
Water boils at 100º Celsius.
I go swimming every Saturday.


SWAN, Michael. 1998. Practical English Usage. 2nd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press.



What I eat in a day!

Comments

Popular Posts