Past Simple & Present Perfect

PAST SIMPLE

FORMS
Affirmative
I worked
you worked
he/she/it worked
we worked
you worked
they worked

Negative
did not work
you did not work
he/she/it did not work
we did not work
you did not work
they did not work

Question
did I work?
did you work?
did he/she/it work?
did we work?
did you work?
did they work?

USE
The past simple is used to talk about past events. It is often used with references to finished periods and moments of time.

I ate an apple in the morning.

I broke my leg.


HOW TO PRONOUNCE "-ed" VERB ENDINGS

Verb ending in a voiceless consonant + -ed:
talk-ed /t/

Verb ending in a voiced sound (consonant) + -ed: 
call-ed /d/

Verb ending in a voiced sound (vowel) + -ed:
play-ed /d/

Exceptions:
want-ed /id/
need-ed /id/

PRESENT PERFECT SIMPLE

FORMS
Affirmative
have worked
you have worked
he/she/it has worked
we have worked
you have worked
they have worked

Negative
have not worked
you have not worked
he/she/it has not worked
we have not worked
you have not worked
they have not worked

Question
have I worked?
have you worked?
has he/she/it worked?
have we worked?
have you worked?
have they worked?

USE
The present perfect simple is used to say that a finished action or event is connected with the present in some way.

I have eaten an apple today.



I have broken my leg.




PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS

FORM
have / has + been + verb-ing
Your teacher has been swimming for 2 hours.

USE
It can be used
1. to emphasize the duration of a situation or activity:
She's been sleeping for three hours.
2. to suggest that a situation or activity is temporary:
He's been rehearsing all day.
3. to suggest that a situation or activity is incomplete:
It's been raining since 9 o'clock this morning.
4. to focus on the repetition of a situation or activity:
I've been going to the gym after work.

Comments

Popular Posts