Conditionals

Conditional sentences contain a conditional clause (introduced by IF, AS LONG AS and UNLESS) and a main clause. The conditional clause states a condition and the main clause has what happens because of that condition. If the conditional clause comes first, a comma usually separates it from the main clause. A comma is not needed if the conditional clause comes after the main clause.


ZERO CONDITIONAL

IF (when, whenever or every time) + PRESENT SIMPLE, / PRESENT SIMPLE

We use the zero conditional to talk about situations which are always true.

If / When I have a headache, I take a painkiller.

And when I'm down, you are there.

Christina Aguilera - I Turn To You

FIRST CONDITIONAL

IF + PRESENT TENSE, / FUTURE FORM, IMPERATIVE or MODAL VERB

We use the first conditional to talk about possible situations and their likely results in the future.

If you study hard, you will pass the exam.

If you ever find yourself stuck in the middle of the sea,

I'll sail the world to find you.
If you ever find yourself lost in the dark and you can't see,
I'll be the light to guide you.

Bruno Mars - Count On Me

We can use unless instead of if...not in conditional sentences.


Unless you study hard, you won't pass the exam.


Unless we revive this constitution
From sure disintegration,
Live out this revelation
Today


Alanis Morissette - Today

We use the present tense after after, before, as soon as, until and when to talk about the future.


Will you catch me when I fall?





The Corrs - Catch Me When I Fall

SECOND CONDITIONAL

IF + PAST TENSE, / WOULD, COULD or MIGHT + BARE INFINITIVE

We use the second conditional to talk about imaginary, unlikely or impossible situations in the present or in the future.

If you studied hard, you would pass the exam.


If I were a boy / Even just for a day, / I'd roll outa bed in the morning...

Beyoncé - If I Were A Boy

THIRD CONDITIONAL

IF + PAST PERFECT, / WOULD + HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE

We use the third conditional to talk about imaginary situations in the past and to speculate about their effects on past events or situations.

If you had studied had, I would have passed the exam.

I should have changed that stupid lock,
I should have made you leave your key,
If I had known for just one second,
You'd be back to bother me.

Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive

Comments

Popular Posts